Organ Concerts in the Basilica
The successful endeavour of the event restaurant to win the support of the Piarist monastery, allowing concert appearances in the baroque basilica, meant that an authentic venue for the performance of classical music by great Austrian composers (who have performed on the Bukow organ in the basilica, such as Joseph Haydn, Franz Liszt and Anton Bruckner) was found within the cultural focal point in Josefstadt, one that has been in existence for centuries.
Quartets for a fringe programme and dinner music
Viennese string quartet "Four continents", among others, with compositions by His Majesty Emperor Leopold I (he laid the foundation stone of the monastery in 1698) and compositions from the "Paukenmesse" (Timpani Mass) first performed in this basilica by Joseph Hadyn in 1769, Deutschmeister rifle corps wind quartet
Boys' Choir & Choirs
Vienna Boys' Choir in the refectory of the monastery;
Schubert Boys' Choir (Choirmaster: Prof. Gerald Trabesinger / Bruckner Conservatorium, Linz) sacred and secular works by J. Haydn, W. A. Mozart, F. Schubert and Joh. Strauss and Austrian folk songs;
"Danubia" male voice choir double quartet from the former Schubert Boys' Choir - choirmaster: Prof. Gerald Trabesinger / Bruckner Conservatorium, Linz)
B2 Superior Tour
with organ improvisation - € 500,-
The programme duration is between 20 and 25 min.
B2S Superior Tour + sopran-singer
Superior tour of the main area of the church including organ concert with improvisation of Bruckner and Liszt incl. sopran-singer with solo-song “Ave Maria” - € 700,-
The programme duration is between 25 and 35 minutes.
B1 Grand Tour
of the Basilika including organ concert and Church choir of 30 singers - € 2.900,-
Josef Haydn, Anton Bruckner and Franz Liszt.
The programme duration is between 35 and 45 minutes.
This offer is only valid additionally to dinner. All prices include: tax, room hire/rental and all other above mentioned services. The programme lasts between 15 and 45 minutes. Prices and services are subject to change without notice.Version 01.01.07
Organ Concert in the Baroque Basilika of the Piarist-monastery
The church of the monastery is the old religious and cultural center of the Josefstadt, in the appearence of its magnificent two-belfry facade as well as in the great nobility of its interior, a triumphant church, a TR Deum in stone, and a treasure of the Austrian Baroque of the same age as Schönbrunn and Belvedere Imperial Palace.
Among the monks who were active here, we find outstanding teachers, sought-after curates and preachers, but also important scientists, artists, composers and musicans: they all made their contribution to Austrian culture from here. Today, the monastery runs a primary school. Anton Bruckner selected this organ in 1858 and 1861 for two of his examinations.
On the occasion of the latter examination, the later director of the court orchestra, Johann Herbeck, said the famous words, "He should have examined us!" Franz Liszt visited the new Buckow organ as early as 1858 and expressed his enthusiasm for this instrument.
The Music Archives with sheet music and scores for some 1500 works, among them many autographs, first and early editions are eloquent testimony of the important musical tradition of this church, where great composers from Josef Haydn to Paul Hindemith personally gave performances of their works.
The founder of the order, José de Calasanz (1556-1648) was a Spanish nobleman. He founded the first free school for underprivilaged boys. Under the patronage of Prince Bishop Richard Graf Trautson, the Piarists (as the priests of the order are called), received permission from Emperor Leopold I to establish themselves in Vienna and to build a cloister, a church, and a school. The plans for the church were put together by Lukas von Hildebrandt, probably the most significant architect of his times.
Over the last 300 years the Piarist Church of this cloister has also played an important role in Vienna’s musical life and attracted musicians such as Haydn, Schubert and Bruckner; Mozart’s son also went to school in this monastery. For the 300 year jubilee the protected historic landmark including its church and school was fully renovated over a period of five years. Mr. Erich Emberger, also fully restored the restaurant in the vaulted cellar below, retaining the old panelling.